Definitely 2012 is the year of the mobile. Especially in Africa. It’s not surprising then that Portland Communications tracked twitter use across the continent for Q4 2011 and found some interesting results. This is the first of such a study focusing solely on the African market, it is surely not going to be the last. Let’s take a look, shall we?
- Nigeria ranks third amongst Africa’s tweetworld with 1.6million twitterers.
- 57% of tweets were sent from mobile phones confirming previously available data that just over half of Africans access the internet through mobile.
- Most twitters were between the ages of 20 and 29, younger than the global average.
- A large percentage of twitters use the medium mostly as a source of news information & dissemination.
- Most users tend to keep within their circle or community by choosing to follow largely other Africans.