This video below from the CMO Club shares advice and insights from its current members who are leading CMOs in their industries. Very useful info for beginners and mid-level marketing professionals who want to grow within their careers to the CMO position.
For those who just want to skim and read through later (yea, of course…) here’s a summary of key points:
- Learn to work with all stake holders. Marketing is all about people, whether within your organization or with third party or service providers. Marketers are custodians who must be at the forefront of what’s happening inside the organization but must also know what trends are developing outside with consumers etc, that will affect the brand.
- Develop data analysis skills. In today’s world of SEO/SEM, Google Analytics and the like, no marketer worth their salt should stay away from the numbers side of marketing. Gaining an edge in data analysis will always put you ahead of the curve.
- Understand social and mobile. Understand how social fits into everything. Don’t just do a facebook or twitter page and think that’s it but figure out a way to integrate social into other platforms. Also remember that mobile is multi-channel: tablet, smartphone, etc. Figure out which channels are best addressed with each target audience.
- Think outside the box, always stay fresh. Have a solid and basic underlying knowledge in marketing but to move ahead ensure you’re always open to fresh additions to the theoretic background.
- Manage your own career. Actively seek out tools and people who can help you develop professionally. Finding a mentor is key to this as the mentor will be able to not only advice you but direct you to the right resources to help you along your way. So find a mentor and when you do, no matter how great they are, never allow anyone to tell you no!
- Understand how strategy links to marketing. All of marketing is linked to strategy. Many are drawn in by the execution but it is difficult to be an effective marketer if one does not understand the link between marketing activities and the strategy behind them. Take the time to learn this to develop.
- Build emotional intelligence. Pay attention to people and learn to understand the motivations behind every action. You need to be able to read people and this skill comes mostly from interaction. Get out there and experience the world, talk to people from diverse cultures and backgrounds without prejudice. Remember that there are somethings that can not be read through a device.
Video is here